Saturday, July 16, 2011

I finished Delirium last night. Most of the novel strongly reminded me of The Giver. The whole rigid society, the inability to experience emotions, it all just kept me thinking of The Giver (Lois Lowry. It's an awesome book, perfectly poised and beautifully written). If I were to compare, I would definitely choose The Giver over Delirium because the way both books are written are different. But that just means it is unjust of me to compare. Sorry, I'm being paradoxical here. Oops. Anyways, in terms or the setting and such The Giver definitely won a place in my heart; the way it was written was just too... real in a sense that one can relate and actually feel themselves in that particular moment inside the book. Delirium was a bit... I don't know, it just made me feel that Lauren Oliver was so excited and trying to include every piece of information of her dystopian society inside the book that it just becomes unnatural. For me, that is. The Giver doesn't really show that much force of that sort of introduction. If there was one, it would've been subtly included in the story. I'm not faulting Lauren Oliver for anything like that, God no, i just wanted to say that as an amatuer writer myself, I have experienced this sort of feeling and situation before. How do I know? Well, looking back at those old documents stored in my computer, I only laugh at myself for the stupid writing style that made me sound like an over-eager puppy.

But still, I read on, trying to find a spot that would actually prove that my opinions were wrong and that this book deserved a chance after all those raved reviews from people who probably never read before The Giver. I was just flipping page by page, finding, and hoping that I wouldn't be disappointed. And I wasn't. In the end, the book managed to prove me wrong, somethig that I am
very happy about till this very minute. The ending was EPIC and excellently executed. It was so hauntingly beautiful. I kept reading on, the build-up and the build-up and the build-up waiting for that moment to happen, and it did. Yes, the ending was just epic. It is one of the best I have ever read that keeps you wanting more. I felt it then, the feeling that I was sucked into the book like how I experienced it in The Sky is Everywhere and If I Stay. It's a Romeo and Juliet love story plus The giver dystopian-in-disguise utopia.

There's a sequel coming out next year. And the cover is horrendously ugly. But, for the sake of the story, I will read it. I just hope that the cover I buy would be a nicer one. Teehee. Oh, and please, Lauren Oliver, with all my heart and utmost sincerity, I beg of you, NO LOVE TRIANGLES PLEASE. We do not want another Twilight or Bella Swan coming into the story and ruining the experience for us readers. Thank you.

Sleepy. The whole day I was in Newcastle Nusajaya visiting and paying attention before going for add maths. Right now, my brain is exhausted from all that so I think I'll sleep now. G'night