Friday, April 22, 2011

While I was surfing the net and out of curiousity, I went searching for Where She Went book reviews (don't worry, I finished reading it days ago already). Nine out of ten reviews are raving, praising the book for its excellent portrayal of Adam and the story's flow, and of course, the raw emotions in the book. This I can't deny, I was touched by Adam's grief too. It's unavoidable that everyone compares it to its prequel If I Stay, saying that they liked Where She Went more.

Somehow this doesn't seem to be true for me. On the contrary, I loved If I Stay more. I don't know why. Wait, screw that, I think I know why. True, I don't deny that the emotions in the sequel is much more overwhelming, but somehow Mia's comeback and courage to live on in If I Stay seemed to touch me more. Perhaps it was the way the ending was written, because when I read the ending, I could practically just feel the emotions gush out as if I'm in the story itself, hearing non-exisent cello music, as if Mia's ears were mine. So... that was the plus point I guess.

I've read many books that contained grief in them. Where She Went is one of them (Adam's grief after he lost Mia). But the best book I've read so far is hands down The Sky is Everywhere. In terms of grief, it surpasses so many books out there. Wait, scratch that, with or without grief it beats most books out there by miles. I want to say that it beats Where She Went, but I don't think I can for some reason. Both protagonists are musicians, both have lost someone dear to them (In different ways though), and both are dealing with it in their own ways. But the way The Sky is Everywhere was written just captured my heart the moment I read it. It's just too good a book to put down.

I'm not saying that Where She Went was bad, it's good! In fact, it's so much better than so many books out there on the shelves. And I've most definitely enjoyed it. :) If you've read If I Stay, you must read Where She Went. It's a package deal, you can't separate them. But if you haven't started on any of the above, start with If I Stay. It's such a great book that will rock your world to the very core. Then, if you can, read Where She Went followed by The Sky is Everywhere. Lenny's story definitely deserves a place in everyone's hearts.

Okay, rambling over. Goodbye.